Monday, January 11, 2016

Wish They Would Read.

I love libraries.

Specifically, I love the way people act at libraries. 

Everyone whispering, tiptoeing, to make sure not to infuriate the ancient librarian who, somehow, has hawk-like hearing. 

I love seeing children engrossed in books, turning pages, and actually giggling because their book is funny. 

Call me weird, but I'm the type of person who would rather spend the day at the library hunkered down in a quiet corner with a book and spend hours in my imagination. 

I mean social media is fun and all, but there's only so long I can look at memes before I start getting a headache.

It truly makes me sad to see children who don't read. Or play outside. Or imagine anything. I hate to see kids sitting around all day staring at screens. I hate seeing groups of college students sitting together in groups, each engrossed in their phone, and completely disconnected from reality. Or married couples walking together, holding hands, but each in their own little world, texting other people. I don't understand this. I mean I blog. I use my phone a lot. I use my computer a lot. I like to watch TV, but on my own time. When I'm by myself. When I'm with other people, whether it me a co-worker, or a friend, or my boyfriend. The phone goes in my purse. I leave the sound on, so I can hear every notification, but I just don't feel the need to check my phone every 30 seconds to see who liked my post, or who just texted me, or what the latest trend is. I just don't. 

I know some people get really upset if you don't reply to their texts immediately, but my reasoning is, if you need to get a hold of me that badly, call. I leave my sound on for a reason. If my phone rings, yes, I will pull my phone out, and if I'm not overwhelmingly busy, I will answer. I just don't feel the need to sit and stare at my phone for hours.

Another reason why I love books is that they allow you to use your imagination. Just by reading a few words, I can see the characters and places so vividly in my head the way I want to see them. 

I'm getting a little long winded here, but it makes me sad to see children these days who have never turned a page in their life. Even schools are going digital and electronic. Classics have been banned from school literature. Books like 'The Catcher in the Rye' and to Kill a Mockingbird' are no longer on the shelves of school libraries. Sheltering children from classic literature makes me sad. Those were the books I learned from. Books like 'Lord of the Flies' were the books that taught me just how horrible society can become without structure.

It makes me sad. I just wish they would read. That is all.



C'est la Vie. 

Viva la Vida. 

And Fuck the System.

Peace. 

Signed, Esther Dolezal 🎶🎵



No comments:

Post a Comment